Ghana’s Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has shut down East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant following reports of mass food poisoning by social media users.
Marwako Restaurant was in the news after customers took to their social media handles to complain about their health. Most of them said they were hospitalized after suffering from food poisoning on Saturday.
This allegation began with a tweet from co-founder of Afrochella, ‘@deezydothis’ on Twitter who tweeted, “Marwako @Marwakofastfood gave me and many others in this hospital the worst food poisoning ever.”
His tweet was flooded by complaints from over 70 customers who also suffered from food poisoning. They called on the FDA to take swift action against the company.
The FDA has reacted and in a tweet announced that the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant has been closed down.
They assured the public that investigations has commenced, and the appropriate actions will be taken.
We wish to assure the public that the issue would be thoroughly investigated and appropriate actions taken. Additionally, FDA is ensuring the strict implementation of it protocols to prevent any further harm to the public.
— FDAGhana (@fdaghana) May 12, 2022